posted by Matt Ward on Nov 13, 2010.
Based on the various comments that were left about determining the overall purpose of the Group WordPress Project theme, it seems that some sort of social media solution is the direction we’re going. So, in this post, we’ll look at the fundamental functionality that I propose for creating a personal branding theme. You’ll also get the chance to vote on one of six potential names.
This is the third post in what will likely prove to be the lengthy process of our Group WordPress Project. Thanks to everyone who left their thoughts and ideas on the last post, in which we were looking to establish the overall purpose of the site. A lot of the comments were pretty varied. Some people were looking for a portfolio-based theme, while others all but pleaded for the theme to not be portfolio based.
The one thing that I saw the most was the idea of having a social networking/interaction based site, which actually surprised me a little bit. I thought that an ecommerce shop or an online magazine theme would have been the clear winner, but it looks like you guys want something that really pulls together the whole social media thing. That’s an interesting idea and, I must admit, somewhat of a daunting challenge.
But, since I also don’t want to ostracize those individuals who may be looking for something else, what I am going to propose is a sort of personal branding theme with a high degree of flexibility, where:
- There exists a central hub, which functions as an aggregator of activity from a number of different social media outlets and anything that you actually post to WordPress itself (organized with custom taxonomies) with the option to have these displayed as separate entities or as a one, continuous stream.
- Some built in social networks would include:
- Possibly Facebook
- Others? Suggestions open
- For maximum flexibility, it would be ideal to be provide a structure for individuals using the theme to also include other networks, since it would simply be impossible to include every conceivable network as a default in the theme itself
- In addition to aggregating social activity, however, the theme would also have the ability to support extended sections, including a basic portfolio, a simple ecommerce shop and a blog (magazine or personal). Moreover, these sections would be optional, and could be turned either on or off through an options panel.
- In addition to the various customization that we see above, the theme will also allow users to customize
How does that sound to everyone? Obviously, there will probably be a few other little bits of goodness, but that should sum up the basic purpose that will drive the functionality of the theme. Anything I missed?
The next step for me will be to take all of this (and any extra suggestions), pool it all together and start developing an overall structure for how the theme will actually fit together. In the next post, I will probably talk a bit about how I approach that kind of work.
In the meantime, we have one more little bit of business to take care of—the name! There were all kinds of great suggestions, but the one thing that I saw coming through the most in your comments was that notion that the name of this theme should somehow correlate to the name Echo Enduring. I like that idea! So, I collected four of my favorite EE-related name suggestions, and then added a couple of my own ideas. Here they are:
- Enduring Discourse
- Echoes United
- Echo Interactive
- Echo Entourage
Personally, I really like the name Echonic. It fits in with the branding, and is nice, short and punchy. What about you guys? Which one is your favorite?
Well that’s it for this post. Don’t forget to cast your vote for the name, and feel free to leave a comment or idea as I work on creating an overall flow for how the theme will all fit together. Hope to have that done over the next couple weeks so check back soon!Post A Comment
Also from Echo Enduring Media: